Texas Highway 22, 0.5 miles east of the split with Jefferson Ave, on the north side of the highway, just east of Laurie's Garden and across the highway from C&C Auto Parts / Auto Value
The Carver Mansion has been repeatedly owned by strong, independent women who persevered through difficult times. It is undoubtedly the most prominent and grandest residence in Whitney, retaining the exact exterior appearance crafted in 1912 and is an excellent example of the Greek Revival style. The original log cabin, built before 1847, is incorporated into the main body of the house as a dining room.
Locals referred to the Carvers as the "Rockefellers of Whitney and Central Texas". Mr. Carver owned thousands of acres all across Texas and had a reputation for being "somewhat of a miser and a tightwad" who, if a transaction yielded an odd penny, would draw a line on the ground and have a spitting contest for it. The one spitting closest to the line would get the odd penny and it was reported that Mr. Carver never lost.
Colmon Carver died in his home on April 10, 1911 and was buried in Bethlehem Cemetery in Whitney. Approximately one year after his death it was reported that fire was coming from his grave and the flames could be seen for miles. People arrived on horseback, buggies and wagons to see the strange phenomenon, but fear kept them from getting close. Some theorized that the flames of hell were bubbling up through Mr. Carver's grave because of his reputation for being tight, for the way he figured interest and for charging for water - an unpardonable sin in those days.
It wasn't until 1925 that citizens learned that two prominent Whitney men who had studied at Texas A&M had orchestrated the practical joke, installing a machine to project light rays that gave the impression of flames coming from Mr. Carver's grave.
The Carver Mansion is now a private home, and not open to the public.