Historical Marker, from Whitney take FM 933 about 5-1/2 miles north, on the west side
Settlement in this area began shortly after Fort Graham, a frontier military post established here in 1849, was abandoned in 1853. The first recorded burial in this cemetery, named after the fort, was that of infant Charley Botkin in 1879.
The cemetery was the only one of a number of historic graveyards in this area to remain undisturbed by the creation of Lake Whitney in the early 1950’s. Among the more than 300 people buried here are many of the area’s early settlers and their descendants.
The cemetery remains active and is maintained by an association formed in 1966.