From Whitney take FM 933 north about 5 miles, then turn left (west) onto FM 2604 and follow almost to the end of the road. Turn right on Tobacco Road (street sign often missing) and follow to the fort.
Fort Graham was established by the U.S. military in 1849 near the eastern bank of the Brazos River at Little Bear Creek, near an old Indian village.
The purpose of the fort was to provide escorts for supply trains and travelers, to patrol the countryside as far as the forks of the Trinity, to protect the citizens from hostile incursions by Indians, and to attempt to conciliate the local Indians. No hostilities occurred between the army and the Indians in or near it, and the post was far more important as a scouting and reporting station than as a defensive outpost. Its strategic location near the upper Brazos villages, however, and its role in the affairs of the Indian agents indicate that Fort Graham may well have been one of the most important pre-Civil War forts in Northwest Texas.
As settlement moved westward, the fort was abandoned in 1853 when it was no longer needed. In 1936 the Texas Centennial Commission granted Hill County $6700 to purchase the land upon which the Fort stood and reconstruct one of the buildings. With the development of Lake Whitney, the site was flooded, and the fort was again rebuilt at what is now Old Fort Park.