Pleasant Hill Missionary
200 South Pecos, off of Lee Ave (FM 1244), Whitney
Among the first African-American Baptist congregations in Hill County were the churches at Towash (organized in 1869), Lofer's Bend, and near Aquilla. These three congregations were united in 1883 to form the Pleasant Hill Missionary Baptist Church.
Pleasant Hill's original building was demolished and the cornerstone laid for a new structure in 1894. Church trustees purchased the church lot from Dr. D. R. Wallace of Waco in 1901. The congregation had grown to about 100 members by 1907.
For over 100 years, the members carried on the traditions of worship and community instilled by the early Pleasant Hill congregation.