Towash, Historical Marker at Whitney State Park. from Whitney take FM 1244 west to park continue through gate about 1.1 miles to marker, located in parkway area across from restrooms
The town of Towash was named for a Hainai Indian chief who moved into the area in 1835. It was one of the first Hill County settlements. A grist mill and carding machine, built in 1850 by S. C. Dyer, established Towash as a trade center. By 1879, it had 15 business enterprises. After the railroad bypassed Towash, it declined.
In the early 1950’s, what was left of Towash was inundated by Lake Whitney. Prior to that, residents of the town moved to neighboring towns, but the grist mill remained and is now underwater.